humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davekrista, Oct 26, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I am on day 27 for duck eggs. I'm in lock down as well. My humidity went from 83% to 87% in less than an hour. It stayed there for a while but now its still rising, we are currently at 88% now. I read somewhere that a spike in humidity (or was it temp) means a pip but can't find where i read it. So does that mean an internal pip or external? Its driving me nuts because i can't find the thread i saw it at.

2. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I know I've said that on a thread recently. That little jump might very well be a pip! Might there be some portion of an egg that you cannot see. I, for one, am horrible at finding the pips. My hubby can walk in, shine a light, and BAM...he sees pips everywhere. I could have spent 20 mins staring at the same eggs, with the same light, and have seen nothing! [​IMG] I'm not sure if the internal "pip" would produce the jump. I think of it more as though the actual breaking of the egg surface is what does it. Could be, though...[​IMG]

3. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Yes the eggs are laying on the side there there is the "bottom" half of the egg that I can't see on all eggs. I was concerned because they had been moving around alot yesterday and now they aren't. I was losing hope, then the humidity went up quickly so it regained some of my hope. I still don't see any external pips and they aren't moving. Humidity is fluctuating right now 87%-88% hasn't gone above 88 though. Maybe a pip where I can't see the shell?

4. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Could very well be! I've heard lots about eggs being somewhat still for a time, as the babies are resting and gathering strength for the final push to zip. We'll hope that this is the case for your duckies! [​IMG]

5. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Awesome. Thank you. I have been searching for that thread where it mentioned it and was starting to think i was going crazy because i could not find it. Now I feel better that i didn't imagine it and that my eggs may have pipped. [​IMG]

6. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Awesome! If it makes you feel any better, none of the eggies that have hatched for me ever moved that I could tell. Again, the hubby would say one moved, but I never saw it. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by