Humidity question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theredroosta, Feb 2, 2011.

1. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Whats the point of the humidity the first 19-20 or so days of incubation? I only see a reason for it at hatch time when the chicks are hatching to prevent shrink wrap. Because out of curiosity I decided not to fill the wells what-so-ever and I am currently in the middle of my most successful hatch I've ever had. Any help is appreciated.

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Incubating is climate specific. For example, I live in the desert and we have basically 8% relative humidity, and with the heater on, it is 0% in the bator. The yolk would stick with 0%, so I add water to bring it to about 20-30%, 40-55% for hatching. It all depends on your climate.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    That link should be required reading before anyone touches an incubator.
    I still have it in my files from years back.

5. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:The egg is porous. It will either absorb humidity from the air around it (moist air) or release it's own internal moisture as humidity into the air around it (dryer air). This affects the air sac inside the developing egg. This is why humidity levels do play a role even before the egg is pipped.

The above link is worth reading.

Just because you didn't add any water in your bator doesn't mean you had no humidity. The humidity of the room where your incubator is running as it's drawn into the bator through the vents would give you some humidity in there. You just didn't need to supplement that base RH%.

Good luck with your remaining hatch!

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:Why only 40-55% for hatching when I've read 65% is optimal? I have a hygrometer in my Eco 20...

I keep getting conflicting info...

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Why only 40-55% for hatching when I've read 65% is optimal? I have a hygrometer in my Eco 20...

You gotta quit all that reading.

65% is optimal in the lab. Think of a hen - she knows nothing of that. She has to work with what she has.

Go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Follow
    what it says.

8. debilorrah

Because I live in an extremely dry climate and to shoot for more is suicide. I would LOVE to be able to reach 65%!!!!! I had a really bad hatch with ducks recently because of humidity here. I can hatch chicks no problem, but ducks cannot be hatched in my climate. Not possible.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC

Because I live in an extremely dry climate and to shoot for more is suicide. I would LOVE to be able to reach 65%!!!!! I had a really bad hatch with ducks recently because of humidity here. I can hatch chicks no problem, but ducks cannot be hatched in my climate. Not possible.

Ive always gone for 40%-50% with good results.

10. debilorrah

Quote:Because I live in an extremely dry climate and to shoot for more is suicide. I would LOVE to be able to reach 65%!!!!! I had a really bad hatch with ducks recently because of humidity here. I can hatch chicks no problem, but ducks cannot be hatched in my climate. Not possible.

Ive always gone for 40%-50% with good results.

I struggle for that and have good hatches too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by