humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daddy_roo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I kinda bit off a little more than I think I was ready for trying to incubate eggs. Well not really just wish I was a litte more prepared. I was given some hatching eggs to try my hand at incubating. Come to find out after 4 days of incubating one group of the eggs had been set on for" about a week or so." So now the problem comes to lockdown. I know the humidity needs to raise the last 3 days for these eggs. I only have one bator. If I increase the humidity for the ones in lockdown, will it harm the other ones? Or in other words HELP!!! what do I do? It has an auto turner but I have the eggs in their own section of it so I can take that arm off for lockdown.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Do you have a reliable hygrometer? If so, I'd say raise the humidity to roughly 60-65... That's the bare minimal for the lockdown, to cause less stress on the other group... Good luck!!!

3. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    x2

I'm going to agree with Chris 100% here. I've never done a staggered hatch, but it seems to me that the ones closer to their hatch date should be the main priority. What kind of incubator are you using? If it's not forced air with a fan, and if there's enough wiggle room, is it possible that there might be an area of the incubator that gets less humidity? I have seen some that run with a sponge as the source ... if that's the case, you could consider rearranging your egg placement, although at this point, I'd go more toward just locking down, raising that humidity, and see what happens.

Of course, I'm not speaking from experience, so I'm hoping others will come along who can.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted! Have you candled? Does everyone look like they're supposed to look according to their estimated ages?

4. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    yes I candled all my eggs, and out of the 42 I put in the bator, 37 of them are fertile. I have a little Giant 6500 bator w/ auto turner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by