Humidity question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adiekaty, Nov 5, 2013.

1. adiekaty

adiekaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    Morning!!
    i have a Farm innovators Pro Series circulated air incubator model 4200 from TSC.. (similar to the Little Giant) i have had 3 successful hatches so far, but struggle with the humidity.. The incubator is styrofoam, molded into a plastic shell. The bottom where u add water, has drain holes. thinking this is where my problem lies.. the water i add, to up the humidity drains thru the holes.. thus making the humidity drop after awhile. so each day i add water, registers between 50-55%, before bed, all is good, wake up in the am, 30-34%.. UGH!! so, i started getting up at 2:00am to add water.. Surely there is an easier way?? Can i plug these holes?
    There are built in tray compartments in the middle of incubator, but adding water to this is hard once eggs are in place, and at lockdown, this are in middle isn't accessible.. what are your thoughts on this??

thanks,
    adrienne

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. adiekaty

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    Farm innovators is the brand.. pro series is style i guess...

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I recommend reading this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

it has information about how humid it should be (28%-45%, adjust as you candle) in still-air and forced-air incubators.

The water is not meant to go into the bottom of the incubator, as you saw, it will just run out the holes and that is probably why the humidity drops because all the water escapes. The water is meant to go in the little chambers in the center of the incubator. it IS a pain in the butt!!

this is what I do.. I have my incubator on a long table, with counterspace enough to set the incubator lid AND the egg turner. I take the whole egg turner out very carefully and set it on the table next to the incubator. Then I add my water. I find that 2 of 3 chambers is perfect humidity for me, where I live (Oregon).

that thread also has "tricks" like using a syringe and tube to add water. I dont have either of those things (yet) so I remove the turner every time.

But I bet once you are using the chambers, the humidity wont drop as fast :) Good luck!!

edit: OOPS! I JUST saw that you are in lockdown!! forget what I said.. it should be 65-70%!!

OKAY! can you get a sponge wet and set it on a lid or something small and put it in the incubator? or even cut a sponge into pieces. is there room to set it on the metal grate next to the eggs?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. adiekaty

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    hi.. thank u for your response.. yes, the chambers in the middle are a pain!! Im not in lockdown, I'm waiting for eggs to arrive today!! :)) the last 4 hatches were the tricky ones, just need to have hubby built a cabinet style bator, or fork over the dough, and buy the Brinsea....anyhow, testing out the incubator now with a wet sponge..instead of filling the chambers. thinking I'm going that route this hatch.... thanks for the link.. i will look there, once carpool is finished!!
    Again,
    Thanks.. Adrienne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by