Humidity Question

TheEggCollecter

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Massachusettes
I have ten eggs in my still air incubator. They are at a temperature of 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit but I am confused with the humidity. My hygrometer is reading 70% and I know that is too high so how do I lower it. I am new with incubating and I don't know how to control humidity?

How long have eggs been in incubator?

If its lockdown humidity will be fine.

To lower humidity remove all water in incubator open up vents. That should lower humidity.

I read on another post if that doesn't get it low enough put a cup of rice which might help pull water out of the air.

Last thing is the hygrometer on the incubator right I don't know how to check it without having a 2nd or 3rd meter to gauge differences.

Most styrofoam ones have two/3 water slots in the bottom---you should be only using the smaller one in the early days of incubating-----the more water surface you got the higher the humidity will be.

Ok thank you! The eggs have only been in there for three days and I had all water slots filled so I will change that soon, if that doesn't help I will try rice! Thanks

Ok thank you! The eggs have only been in there for three days and I had all water slots filled so I will change that soon, if that doesn't help I will try rice! Thanks
Thats your problem-----start out with the smallest one first, then if your humidity is to low add water to the bigger one and let the smaller run dry----that will increase the humidity some. During the last 3 days you will need to fill all the water slots and if you are in a dryer area you might need to soak a small sponge extra to bring the humidity up more or put jar lids of water under the wire. Just remember, the more surface area of water you have the higher the humidity----the less surface area the lower the humidity.

Rice, rock salt and silicone dry-packs are what worked for me. I think the silicone worked best, but it may be tricky to find them. Good luck!

For the ones of you that missed The EggCollector's last post----it stated all the water slots were filled when the incubator was set------there is no need to use any moisture absorbants unless the moisture is to high "after" all the water has been removed----allowing a little time for things to settle.

For the ones of you that missed The EggCollector's last post----it stated all the water slots were filled when the incubator was set------there is no need to use any moisture absorbants unless the moisture is to high "after" all the water has been removed----allowing a little time for things to settle.

Maybe so, but in my case the humidity was at 65% even in my forced air bator with the vents open, so I had to improvise.

Having high humidity is not uncommon. Did you have any water in the incubator when it was 65%?

Yeah. Even so, never seen that kind of spike in a forced-air bator! Thank goodness I caught it in time, I've had to keep it at 25-30% to try and trigger air cell evaporation before hatch. For the first two weeks the air cell didn't change one millimeter. I'll replace the water just before lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom