Humidity questions for hatching shipped eggs with detached air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by curranchickens, Mar 20, 2012.

1. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I ordered my first batch of shipped eggs. I received them yesterday. They were packed nicely but upon candling, I saw that most of the air cells were rolling around from one end of the egg to another. I guess this is a "detached air cell". I have done extensive searches and have developed a plan to attempt to hatch them....

I let them set since yesterday to settle.

I am placing them in the incubator in the egg turner UPRIGHT but NOT turning it on for a week so they are not moved in an attempt to stableize the air cell.

At the end of a week, I will plug the egg turner in.

When it is time for lockdown, I will hatch upright in an egg carton.

My only question is about humidity.... I have read posts that say to make the humidity lower then normal. Someone said around 30%. I have a hovabator genesis 1588 and when I leave it completely empty of all water it is staying around 30. If I put water in the one channel then it pushes the humidity up to 48%. Should I leave the incubator without water for days 1-18???

Also any other suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep my humidity between 30% and 40% days 1-18 I find adding water to the tray makes humidity to high, so I use a 4oz. size baby bottle with the lid off and it fits along the side of my turner. It gives a smaller surface area of water and because its deeper I only have to refill it about once a week.

3. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Thanks for the reply... It seems like everyone has a different opinion about humidity. It is difficult to determine who is right. I want these eggs to have as good of chance as they can since they have so much going against them with being shipped, rough handling, stuck at the PO over the weekend and detached air cells as a result. I hope some of them hatch!

Have you ever successfully hatched eggs with detached air cells using this humidity range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by