humidity questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L*A*G*, Jan 6, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    https://petsr4u.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ACCURITE00891
    I'm
    gonna b hatching some silkie eggs soon but i needed a way to check humidity. all i need is to use that 1 time and then my silkies will take care of the hatching. so i was woundering if thiswill work... my bator has 3 diferent water slots. 1 big squar and 2 bar slots. can that control the humidity? if i fill the big slot (and keep it filled)on day 1-18 then fill all of the slots on day19-24 will that take care of the humidity??? Is that what the slots r 4?

anything would b helpful,

Larra [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My opinion.... [​IMG] It's too much money to use just one time. Wal-marts make Accurite Thermometer/Hygrometers that go in the bator and work well, even Springfields. [​IMG]

Your slots or wells, usually the center one is used for the first 18 day and then you fill all the wells on the last 3, to up the humidity levels.

I put a pic of my bator and the Accurite and Springfield thermometer/hygrometers that I use in my bators in your other posting.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    How lucky are you? Would you jump from a plane with no parachut from 20,000 feet? Not trying to be funny, but without having your humidity set right you will lose more chicks than you hatch. For the first 18 days the humidity should be between 25 and 40%. The Last 3 days I keep mine at 58%, some like it a little higher. I have found that the chicls start to drown at 70%. The last hatch I did, I had no water I the bator until day 18, the humidity was picked up from the room the bator was in. On day 18 I added 1 oz. of water in the morning and 1 that night to bring it up to 58%. Then to keep it there I added about 1/2 oz each day until the chicks started hatching. No more water was needed. 35 of 36 hatched and the last one was infertile. You may need to fill all the slots and add some damp cloths to get the humidity right. The few dollars you spend for a gage is money well spent.

And there WILL BE times when you want to hatch some eggs and won't have a broody hen.

4. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    WOW! Thanks!!! I would end up waisting a lot of chick lives if it wasn't for all of u. Please give me all the tips u have. [​IMG] Goodness Tuffoldhen, u know a LOT about incubating!!! keep in mind that I'm paying $24 on a dozen of eggs and I don't want to waist a penny. so again anything u got is helpful.

5. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I did the math... useing tuffoldshen's humidity suggestion and panner's humidity suggestion and found the avarage of...38% for day 1-18 and 62% on day 19-24. how does that sound?????

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mines just an average that you can use. Just anywhere in those ranges are good. Depends on your house and climate humidity. [​IMG]

You don't want it high as they can drown in the shells....

Your welcome, I spend the same amount and sometimes more for hatching eggs so its good to learn all you can about hatching chicks!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Where should I go for answers about making my hens lay in the winter?

8. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    step1 Index 2 chicken egg laying and behaviors 3 make new topic [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Thaaaaaaaaank Yoooooooou!

10. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Larra, you wanted to know a little about humidity, so I found you a little homework. A short time ago we had a thread here that You should read. It will show you the differances in how we use humidity. Some like high humidity and others like to use the dry method. That thread was on Page 5 when I liiked it up probably move down since then. It is titled "humidity in bator excellent infro here. everyone should read". You will find the information given by jamie821, wheaties, and myself to be in favor of the dry method. Right now we are hatching BCMs. At the price of those eggs, we want everyone of them to hatch. But even if the eggs were free, we want each one to hatch. If at any time you get in a bend, you can PM anyone here and they will do their best to help you. The more questions you ask the more you will enjoy raising chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by