Humidity settings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Feeks89, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Feeks89

Feeks89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Hi, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to hatching eggs but I've spent the last couple of months reading up about it and bought myself an incubator and some eggs. We are on day 26 and there's no hatchers and I'm wondering what I did wrong? There a two settings on the incubator HU AND HD I presumed HU was humidity but I'm not too sure now, the instructions don't even mention these settings and are pretty poor to be honest. It's a mini egg incubator, it's yellow and holds ten eggs bought from eBay does anyone know if the HU stands for humidity?
    Thank you :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I can think quickly of two incubators that fits that description, one is good and one is terrible lol. Which make/model is yours?

Humidity can unfortunately completely ruin your hatch if it is incorrect and for that reason I do not incubate without a reliable hygrometer. I bought one fairly cheap at a pet shop (the ones people use to monitor humidity in reptile tanks).

3. Feeks89

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you! [​IMG]
    It just says mini incubator janoel-10 I checked the feedback on eBay and it all seemed pretty good. I will definitely invest in one of those! I have some more eggs that are currently setting and going to try again, I just want to be 100% sure that I'm doing everything right this time

4. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

I hope your next hatch goes well. [​IMG]

5. Feeks89

Mar 6, 2015

Thank you! Fingers crossed!! [​IMG]

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] Yep, fingers crossed, lol. You'll have to give us an update on how it goes for you.

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've head of that one. Here is a thread on Janoel incubators in general, that may have some advice for you on how to manage the humidity:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/589966/does-anyone-else-use-a-janoel-incubator/0_30

Best of luck with your next hatch!

1 person likes this.
  8. Feeks89

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you very much!! [​IMG]

Sooooo....... I've just turned my incubator off and went to remove the eggs (as it's the 26th day) and there is one egg just moving around like it's having a party in there!!! [​IMG] Does this mean the chick is alive in there???

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It sounds like it? Hold it against your ear and tap it a few times with your fingernail. If there is a live chick in there it will tell you all about it. [​IMG]

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] (Again, with the fingers crossed, lol)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by