Humidity-sometimes ya just can't beat it.

Pics

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
We've had 2 weeks of below freezing (-8 to 20F) temps and 2-3 feet of snow.
Sunday it eased into the mid 20's-30 and yesterday it climbed into the 40's with some drizzle and stayed there overnight, today it climbed to 55 with light rain. The snow is 'steaming', snow melt rains from the eaves.

This is what I saw when I walked into the coop this morning:
upload_2018-1-11_16-18-48.png

Then I looked up:
upload_2018-1-11_16-20-4.png

No, the roof is not leaking(tho that always flashes across my mind when this happens a couple times a year)...that is condensation, on the 1x roof boards from snow on north roof and warm moist air everywhere.
BTW... The 15 birds on their ~3' high roosts are protected from any dripping by cardboard on the 7' coop ceiling.

My coop shed has pretty darn good ventilation, ~10sqft at each 3 eaves, 2 lower and 1 higher, air should move good, huh? But when the humidity is 90+%, not much to do. All that snow is about gone, except for the piles which are much reduced.
upload_2018-1-11_16-27-40.png

Temps are supposed to plummet tonite, dropping from 56F at 7pm to 32F at 10pm, high of 26F tomorrow with precipitation to continue thru the afternoon. Already have some frostbite, I expect to see more by morning. Temp range for the next week is 9F to 26F.....then another warm up.

That humidity is tough. Almost better to have the dry bitter cold than the high humidity that accompanies a thaw. It got up to 45 today. Coop is on damp side, but not wet. Hoping the temp moderates before plunging into the negatives again. Silly girls were still out playing when it was almost dark tonight. I had to coax them in. I've turned off the auto door for now, until temps can be somewhat predictable.

Temps are supposed to plummet tonite, dropping from 56F at 7pm to 32F at 10pm, high of 26F tomorrow with precipitation to continue thru the afternoon. Already have some frostbite, I expect to see more by morning. Temp range for the next week is 9F to 26F.....then another warm up.
:fl hope your flock is okay!

Back
Top Bottom