Humidity spike during hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunnychooks, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    This is my first hatch. So far there are 9 chicks out with several more pipped and some not started at all. The humidity has risen to 80-81% and the windows of my incubator (LG, Still Air) are foggy. How do I lower the humidity without opening the incubator? I cannot wick the water from the wells because they are under the wire below the eggs. Thanks for your help!

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    If your incubator has two red stoppers on the top of the lid, pull one out which will lower the humidity...

3. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Both are out. The humidity is now up to 85%. Is there some other way to expel some of the humidity?

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I would crack the 'bator open just a bit. I've read if the humidity is too high, the chicks will drown.

Laurie

5. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'm temped to do that, but I've also read that by opening the bator during a hatch the sudden change in temp/humidity can kill the chicks that have already pipped. I've set up a dehumidifier next to the bator and, hopefully, that will help some, but I was hoping there could be something else I could do in the meantime.

6. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    The windows in the top will come out. I would crack open one of those and that should help a little. I used those to take out a few early hatchers on my last batch.

7. thebigroo

thebigroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NC
    I would crack it only for a few minutes and then close the lid. When chicks hatch they make the humidity rise. It comes from the fluids in the egg. Don't let the temp drop to much as you have the top raised and don't let the humidity drop to much either or the chicks will stick to the egg. Good luck

8. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    just like babys chicks are though enough to handle a momentary drop in humidity but i would not worry to much ... maybe try taking the dry chicks and brken egg shells out that will lower it a bit

9. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks so much for all the help. I didn't realize the windows came out of the top. What I ended up doing was to pop a window slightly for a short period of time. The humidity dropped a bit, but every time a chick hatched it went up again. I've had another 6 chicks hatch (at least that many - I was too worried about the humidity to keep track). I'll just have to continue to moniter it. I don't think I'll be getting too much sleep tonight!

10. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Okay, here's an update!!!
    I cracked a window open ever so slightly and left it that way (I was still monitoring the humidity). I also removed some of the shells through the window. By the end of Day 20 I had 34 out of 36 hatch!!! [​IMG]
    One of the chicks had some type of congenital issue and died shortly after hatching and 2 did not pip, but I still have 33 adorable little chicks. I am so delighted with my first success that I have the 'bator fired up and ready for my next hatch!!!
    Thanks to everyone for the good advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by