Humidity spike when Pipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelseygirl707, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    So I think I read somewhere that the humidity in the bator spikes when an Egg/Chick pips, Is that true?

And on a side note, I just candled on day day 16, and 22 out of 23 eggs due on sunday have moving babies, I hope they stay strong! Oh and are RIR's always more active inside the egg than other breeds, because it seems that way with this batch?

Thanks!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yes, its true. the humidity will go up at hatching..not a whole lot..but it does go up.. [​IMG]

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks RedHen?

Anybody have else notice that Their RIR's were much more active in the egg, than their other breeds? I notice that mine are kicking all over the place where as the others just seem like their chillin, and will kick every once in a while to streach, LOL [​IMG]

4. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Congrats!! 22/23 sounds great!!

5. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I have hatched numerous breeds and production chicks do seem more active but maybe again we just caught them at the same time. I see alot of movement in silky eggs and ameracaunas too but again dont know if it was just awake time

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    RIRs are just cantankerous in general.

Enjoy them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by