Humidity spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rashid100, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Hey guys. It's day 7 of button quail egg incubation in my homemade bator. I candled yesterday and the embryos seemed fine. But today when I went to turn eggs the humidity had jumped to 65%. It was on 55 this whole while. Not sure what happened. Do u think that would drown the chicks (and can someone explain how exactly they "drown" Iam a bit confused on that) should I even be concerned? I opened the bator and let our the moisture quickly.
    I'll really appreciate any comments. Thanks :D

2. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    im bumping this as it happened to me yesterday and today.

Was low to mid 40's and today spiked at 58% flipping annoyed.

Hope eggs are ok today is there 10th day

3. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Wasn't a problem for me. Candled the eggs and the chicks seem just fine. But in my case the humidity was too high, not too low so maybe it'll be different for you. Hopefully your chicks are alright too.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks -. Ill check eggs tonight hope there ok. Our eggs are not much apart, keep me updated on how yours progress and hatch?

Best of luck to you! Nicole.

5. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    The humidity becomes most important when they start to pip so I think having a drop or rise in it one time shouldn't be a problem but if your incubator is jumping up and down I'd rather keep it on the drier side than wetter. The air cell can collect water in it if humidity is too high and drown the chick when they go to pip. I've dry hatched quite a few times (little to no water during incubation and adding it only three days before hatching- if you have good air flow they should get moisture from the air).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by