Humidity spikes as chicks hatch, what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karaadanielle, Feb 18, 2017.

1. karaadanielle

karaadanielle New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    As I'm sure this is normal, I have yet to figure out how to combat it! The humidity in my bator spikes dramatically as eggs hatch. Both red stoppers are out and humidity is steady at 65% but it jumps about 5% per egg that hatches until I remove the shells and crack the bator to let it air out. The view window will be covered in condensation as well so I dry it off with a papertowel. So far this is all I have figured out to do to keep the humidity as close to 65% consistently. Any better methods? Can't control when those little buggers pop out and I'm not always there to monitor the humidity when they do decide to make their debut.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It's quite normal for humidity spikes to occur when a chick hatches. Personally, I leave the humidity settings alone. It's easy to over-think things.

3. karaadanielle

karaadanielle New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    I quickly reach 85% humidity during hatching. I've read so many things saying that's too high. I suppose that's what makes me overthink!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you have adjustable ventilation, you could open that fully. 85% is considered too high, but as long as its just a spike, it's unlikely to do any harm. I think that using incubators gives us all the best opportunity to over-think things, since its something that we can actually control [​IMG] (we are all guilty of that)

5. Kage

Kage New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I have a Humidikit with my 1588 Genesis, it seems to regulate my humidity pretty well, haven't put any water into my bator 8 days in.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I run 70-75% at lockdown and often it spikes to 90%+. I do not worry about it at all. As a matter of fact I am hands on so I use it to my advantage and pull out egg shell, turn pippers back up and if I have any active chicks, I move them to the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by