Humidity stupidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Dec 11, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I have battled humidity in my Hovabator here in dry, dry wintry northern CA. I have put in sponges which dry out. I have injected water into the trays via syringe. I am incubating in my Brinsea but would like to hatch again in the Hovabator. My last hatch I could not get the humidity high enough during hatch and I think my chicks were damaged as a result. I decided I would try to put a humidifier in the room with the incubator so I dove to WalMart to see what they had. Of course they were all, big, ugly and blue. Then I spotted a tiny Portable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier. It works off of your computer's USB port or a wall outlet adapter. This thing is tiny, small enough to fit INSIDE the Hovabator. It is 3 inches high by 3.5 inches long. So I paid $20.00 for it and brought it home. Here's what it looks like in operation. One filling of the water chamber lasts for 9 hours. What I though I would do is put the unit in the incubator and plug it into my USB port. When the humidity gets to 65%, unplug it. Then plug it in again when the humidity drops until the hatch is complete. Am I crazy? Has anybody tried something like this? I will have to fool around with it because it is cool mist it might cause the temp to drop. I don't think I would have to leave it on very long at a time. I can already feel the moisture in the air just with it running on my desk.

Comments? Please be kind. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I have never seen one that tiny! It's precious. Sound like your plan will work, but you will have to stay on top of it...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Necessity is the mother of invention.

Will it fit with the turner in the hovabator?

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I didn't try it with the turner in. I can usually maintain humidity for days 1-18. It's lockdown that I have a problem with.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have a humidistat cycling a outlet on an off. http://cmfarm.us/humiditycontrol.html

I
    have a frog habitat fogger plugged in to it.
    [​IMG]

Its in a big incubator. It would fill a small one with fog before the humidistat reacted.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Warden,
    I think that's a BRILLIANT idea! I hope it works! Keep us updated!

7. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    yep, I'm using a reptile fogger in my new incubator... it works off the same principals as the cool mist humidifier and it works like a charm. You can see more details of it on my BYC page.

8. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Necessity is the mother of invention! If it works go for it!

9. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    I am almost giving up on incubators. I think I'm going to see if my Silkies will work better.....:-(

But good luck - fingers and toes crossed!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  10. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    What a wonderful idea! I wish I would've thought of this yesterday as I am in Lockdown now and finally have the temp/humidity level even. I'll have to visit my local Walmart tomorrow morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by