Humidity to high for trkey eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poultrykeeper08, Aug 27, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I have about 24 turkey eggs in the incubator and My humidity is staying at around 64

Is that a problem i was told to keep it at around 80 and i was told to also keep it around 50 by another source

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a lot of differing opinions.. unfortunately my turkey books are non specific other than to follow the manufacturers directions and to judge future actions based on results from past hatches.

I've incubated 2 sets of turkey eggs... humidity of 45-60% seems to have been sufficient for their air cells. Right now they are sitting at 52% in the incubator and 58% in the hatcher... I'm about to go and adjust the hatcher humidity up to 60-65%. I'm expecting the first hatch tomorrow.

Look.. it's basically the same as a chicken and chicken methods will work great until you hit the brooder where apparently turkeys do not want such a high temperature as newborn chicks.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    should i lower the humidity becuase my turkeys arent due to hatch until september 10 ,13 and 20th

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I just incubated chicken eggs with humidity as high as yours and they were wet, three couldn't even make their way out and when I opened them they were just wet wet wet...

so.. if I were you, I would certainly get the humidty down to more along the lines of 50% give or take

I shouldn't tell you what to do because I only started this stuff in the spring... but that is what I would do..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by