Humidity too high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Question....I am incubating for the 1st time...I found out through a post that I had my humidity too high the first 48hrs(55-65%). I got it back down to around 30-35% now...But just wondering if I could have damaged my eggs? [​IMG] I have candeled at 4 days and just see a big blob floating around in there. I do see an airsac, and there are a few I think I see veins. But I have not been able to find a single picture on here or on the internet showing what I am seeing????? My eggs are light brown.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I wouldn't worry about it and your not going to see much at 4 days. Wait until 10 days and let us know what you see. [​IMG]

3. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:I know I should wait [​IMG] ...BUT IT'S SOOOOO HARD!!!!![​IMG] That's why I was hoping for a little reasurance about the "blob" I was seeing so I wont be so nervous........Thanks for making me feel better. [​IMG]

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    The blob you see is probably the yoke, I wouldn't worry about the humidity spike to much.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That really isn't much of a spike and I would not worry at all if I were you. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

6. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I think it will be fine. Mine did that and I have 7 babies and hopefully more on the way!

7. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
  8. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    I'm on day 1 incubator went from 40% to 65% with just a thimble full of water. Question is should i let it go back down over time or remove water?

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Has your hygrometer been checked for accuracy??? If your incubator is holding 40% w/o water I would run dry for the first 17 days and check the air cells to know when and how to adjust. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

10. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    thank you. I'll follow your advice. I am new to incubating and I know it's a learning experience .

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by