1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity too high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jocasta, May 12, 2011.

1. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    9 turkeys hatched out of 11 eggs. I was planning on leaving them all in there until the hatch was finished but they all started pecking at one little poult - to the extent that it drew blood and I figured they were a little overcrowded. I moved the incubator into the kitchen, ran the hot tap until it was nice and steamy and then took the babies out in two stages, replacing the lid between runs. During this I took the hygrometer out to reach the poults but forgot to replace it [​IMG]

No.10 has just hatched but he's much wetter than the others were when they hatched (they were nearly dry). He's also just laying there, taking the occasional breath. I'm a little worried about him and also No.11 who is yet to hatch (pipped). Am I worrying needlessly? Is he just resting after a difficult hatch or is it possible that the humidity was too high?

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    I have no turkey hatching experience, only chickens but I will share what I think I see in my hatches.

If the humidity was too high, but just slightly not enough to drown chicks, I will get a normal hatch with some "sticky" stragglers at the end of hatch.
    It's no so much that the lock down humidity was too high but the first 18 days of incubation that the eggs didn't dry down enough.
    The chicks that come out sticky had to work much harder and are generally exhausted by the time they finally get out and take longer to get on their feet.
    But they generally turn out just fine.

Best of luck with your turkey babies [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, you may have jumped the humidity too high when refilling the water. Give him some time. Hatching is a difficult process too, so maybe he just needs to rest a bit.

4. Jocasta

Apr 8, 2011
    They are all out now and perfectly healthy (knock on wood). Cheeping away in the brooder as I speak. I got a 100% hatch [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice guys!

5. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Quote:Cograts

Post pic's never seen baby turkeys

6. Jocasta

Apr 8, 2011

Don't have to ask me twice lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Gorgeous!!! Congrats! That's an awesome hatch!

8. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]
    Great news!
    They are precious, you've got me wanting turkeys now.
    Carolyn

9. Rusted One

Rusted One Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011

Don't have to ask me twice lol!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/85785_dscf5244.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/85785_dscf5261.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/85785_dscf5273.jpg

Nice results ! I share your jitters as I read everything I can find on lock-down humidity for pheasants. I think I overdid the humidity from day 1 to lockdown on my first 2 tries with pheasants... candling showed a lot of liquid sloshing around. This time (just went lock-down with 27 eggs) I ran 53% humidity @ 99.5F, monitored very closely to lockdown. Now I'm easing humidity up to 70%. It is confusing seeing such a wide range of lock-down humidity recommended. But your pictures made me smile. Good show and enjoy your turks !
    Rusted One

10. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Congrats on the new babies! [​IMG]

Just curious...what's the reason for the CD hanging there? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by