Humidity Trouble - Brinsea Octagon Advanced

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HatCreek77, Apr 24, 2017.

1. HatCreek77

HatCreek77 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    I am on my first hatch in a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced, and it's my first hatch ever so I'm extra nervous. Everything has went smoothly throughout the first 18 days. Friday was lockdown day and I've had a hard time getting my humidity up. With both trays filled with water and paper towels added, it would only get up to 63%. Luckily I had some extra room in there, and I added a cup partially full of water which gets it up to 67%-68%. That is where it has been since Saturday.

So my main question or concern is for future hatches, what have others done to get their humidity up for lockdown in these bators? I'm hoping in future hatches, I'll have eggs with a better fertility rate so there won't be the extra room for the cup. The booklet says anything over 65% for hatching, but so many others on here seem like they get their humidity a lot higher than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. FBCMarans

FBCMarans Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    White Salmon WA
    I have the same incubator as you! And I'm also having the same issues.
    I have 28 guinea eggs in mine and I have to get the humidity to 75% when lockdown comes.
    I read that sponges work better than paper towel so I'm going to use sponges and paper towel at the same time when lockdown comes!

How did your hatch go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by