Humidity vs Temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HoglundH, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

All during the first 18 days of incubation in a Hovabator fan incubator the humidity and temperature was reasonably stable. Now I found after putting eggs on lockdown the temp has dropped quite a bit. It was dead on 99.5 only went up and down by a few tenths of a deg. The humidity was around 50%. I added water to get the humidity up for hatch and now the temp has dropped to 97.8 at 80% humidity. Should I be worried?

Thanks,
    Harold

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:No. By the time the eggs are in the hatch phase, the chicks are already "running" on their own metabolism.
    Naturally, you don't want to turn the thing off and chill them, but they are producing their own body heat.

The decrease in temp is due to the INCREASE in water vapor in the air and the opening and closing of the system to prepare for hatch.
    It will level off soon enough.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would turn it up just a little but dropping down didn't hurt anything.

80% is a little high.

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tonight is lockdown for my eggs. I have had a pretty steady 35-45% humidity throughout the first 18 days. I noticed some moisture had been escaping through the tape on top where I taped my plexiglass panels (it's a home made ice chest incubator). yesterday, I figured I'd experiment with humidity, knowing the air vents are to be fully open, I changed the water container for a bit larger one, retaped the top to have a good seal, opened all vents and I'm still getting 40-45% humidity. I placed a hygrometer in the room to check room air, and it's about the same, 40-45%. I placed a humdifier in the room thinking I could get the humidity to rise that way, but no change at all. I'm perplexed by this, and wondering, should I add another water container, raising the surface area of water to try to get the humidity up? it's steadily floating at 40-45% still inside the incubator.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It'll be fine. Im always happy with 40-50% Rh and get good hatches with it. Only at the end do add a wet sponge or washcloth.

Go here - read for concept understanding:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

It will change your outlook on incubating - I guarantee it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. HoglundH

I opened it a crack to let out excess humidity, a little concerned with that, I have three different thermometers inside, one says 99.8f 74% rh the other 97.7f 69%rh and the other is just a thermometer near 100f.

I will keep an eye on it.

7. HoglundH

ok now there is cheep cheep cheep coming from the incubator.

8. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It'll be fine. Im always happy with 40-50% Rh and get good hatches with it. Only at the end do add a wet sponge or washcloth.

Go here - read for concept understanding:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

It will change your outlook on incubating - I guarantee it.

He recommends between 65-70% humidity during hatching. Mine is still at 40-45%. But, I just realized, if I place the room humidifier closer to the vent hole where my fan is located, it will draw in moist air and the humidity will rise, so I guess I'll do that. I've read to wait until the first pip to raise humidity, is that a good idea? Thanks!

9. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:well that's certainly a good sign [​IMG]

10. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    I'm on my first hatch now, and so far 6 of 11 have hatched (day 21 now). I have been trying to keep humidity at 65 =/- 5, and that has been working pretty well for me. Everybody seems to have a different range that suits them.
    Good Luck and have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by