Humidity with little giant no air blower

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by julieleonard, Jan 29, 2013.

1. julieleonard

julieleonard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    I have a little giant incubator and how do you know if you have enough humidity?
    there are little troughs to put water in but not enough humid my chick died because it.
    i have a little container in there with water and it seems to be holding temp stable also
    if anyone has any ideas let me know please
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Buy a hygrometer in put it in there so you can monitor the humidity. I bought a very nice incubator a few days ago and I refused to set any eggs before I had a hygrometer in there! Correct humidity is so important, I need to know exactly what it is when I incubate.

3. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    I bought several of these HYGROMETERS off of ebay. The store is right in Tampa and it only took 1 day to get here.They work great and are very easy to calibrate:
    [​IMG]

4. julieleonard

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    thanks i just bought it on ebay [​IMG]

5. julieleonard

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    oh yeah.. how do you calibrate them?

6. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    I bought one of these Calibrations kits from the same guy or you can use table salt/water and a ziploc bag. Here's a good video on youtube about CALIBRATION
    I used the salt method a few times but then decided to go with the kit. Much easier to use and they are reusable.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A salt test is very easy and reliable. Use a bottle cap filled with salt and add drops of water until it's a paste not water slurry. Put the cap and hygrometer in a ziplock bag and wait four hours. It should read 70% humidity; however much it is off from that you adjust the hygrometer or just put a sticker on it to remind you how far off it reads. If you can adjust, calibrate, the hygrometer wait to do so until the gauge stabilizes back to room humidity.

8. julieleonard

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    do you have any americana eggs or arancna eggs i would love to have differant chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by