Humidity wont drop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahFair, Jan 4, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ive been trying to set my LG incubator for a week now and I can not get the humidity under 93%.
    I started out by putting water in it where you were suppose to and the humidity was up at 98% over the week it dropped to 94%, 93% then back up to 96% and is at 94% this morning.

Ive tried with both plugs in, one plug out, both plugs out (which is what it is at now).
    Its dry as a bone in there!

I dont know if my hydrometer/thermometer is busted or not.
    Its fluctuating so I dont think it is..

I picked up my eggs yesterday so they need to get in there asap.
    Any ideas?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't believe your hygrometer. If there is no water in there and it has been running for several hours dry, it should have dried out. What does your hydrometer read in the room your incubator is in? check out the second post in this thread to calibrate your hygrometer

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151621

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Very cool. Thanks!

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

your current hmidity outside is only 63% so unless you are doing a bunch of cooking or have water on to boil, your humidity in the house should be pretty close to that. I would check your hydrometer. If the bator is dry then humidity should be a lot lower than 98%.

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its the one I use to use in my incubator and I had it sitting on my window sill above my kitchen sink while not in use. I always use hot water and when Im boiling water over the stove the steam always drifts over there. It always read high but I thought that was just from all the steam. Could that have messed up wires?

6. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Do you have a window on your bator and if so, is there condensation on it? Someone on here said that if there is no condensation on the window, the humidity is under 80%. Hope that helps.

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:Nope.. No condensation. I dont even think there was condensation on my last hatches (which was about 6 months ago so my memory may be a little foggy) until the last 3 days..

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its been in for 6 hrs and it says 98% [​IMG]

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:...be sure and read the 3rd post, too, 75% is what the meter should read in the "salt test".

Ed

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I think you need a new meter....if you have 98% humidity everything should be pretty much drenched and dripping wet inside the incubator.

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by