1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity won't go up!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alaska animal lover, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I have a genisis 1588 and it is day 18. I cannot get the humidity up past 55%. The trays are full of water, I have two wet sponges in there, I don't know what else to do!

Does any one have any ideas?

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    make sure the plugs r in, try a different hygromiter. is there condensation on the window? if so it should be enough and the reading should b wrong. if there is none it should be right.

in a pinch i go to walmart in the hardware dept and snag a holmes dial hygromiter. make sure u look at a bunch of them. some will read high, some will read low snag one of the ones that maintains reading constant with most of the others. they run anywhere from 50 cents to $3. they r the cheapest most accurate ones i've tried.
    hope this helps,
    silkie

3. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Thank you! I have two of the Acu-Rite brand from Wal-Mart. They both are reading the same. I ran the sponges under hot water and steamed the bathroom up with the shower. I managed to get it up over 65%. I just hope it will hold.
    Thank you again!

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    The room humidity has alot to do with the humidity in the incubator.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by