1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ms Ellen, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    How do I get my humidity down? It is up to 66 on what is day 1 for some of the eggs and day 3 for others. I have all the vents open. This is a still air hovabator. I figured out from the salt test that my humidity was reading 13 percent too low on the meter I had and now I have a lab hydrometer in there and sure enough the humidity has been about 55 %. What do you do?[​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Do you have water in there ??

3. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    There is some little bit of residual water in the middle trough where you are supposed to put it and I am trying to suck it out but there are a bunch of eggs so it is hard to get it all without disturbing them. Still there is not that much. Is the humidity from the eggs themselves?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If it is only 55% I would just leave it. That is the high end of the normal incubation method. Since it is still early, just let it dry out on its own if you want to do dry incubation, it shouldn't hurt them.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    No the hum is from the water that was in there or the hum in your house !! How long ago did you take the water our or did it just run out ?? If you take the eggs out for a min while you dry up the rest of the water thats ok, a mama hen gets off her nest for up to 30 min a day so you wont do any harm, also after the water is removed its going to take a little while for things to get stable again !! Is it humid where you are or in your house ?? If taking the water out doesnt work you might have to look into a dehumifier for the room its on.

Also make sure the bator isent near the bathroom where people take showers that could up it also.

6. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    It has been raining and very warm today so no heater on to dry things up. There is a dehumidifier in the summer on the air conditioning but usually it is dry in the winter. Will a dehumidifier in the room help? How low can the humidity go without harming the eggs if I have no water in there at all?

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Take a look at this https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Hum
    can drop to 25%-30% and be fine, some dry incubate and keep it at 30-35 day 1-18. its all what works best for you !!

I keep mine at 30-35ish(very little water I need) day 1-18 and up it to 65 on day 18.

A dehumidifier in the room will bring the room hum down, if the room hum is down so will the hum in the bator !!

8. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks! It is dry now and down in the 30's. Hopefully it will hold there.[​IMG]

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Hows the hum holding ??

10. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Humidity is 35% today, 99.5 degrees. I am leaving it all alone at this point. Hopefully the lower humidity of today will help the eggs dry out a bit. It is dry outside too today so that helps.[​IMG]:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by