1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, May 3, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have eggs set to go in the bator and I'm trying to get the humidity right before I set them. I have a LG still air bator. The temp is holding perfectly steady. I've found that if I put the hygrometer in different areas of the bator I get different readings. If I put it in the center of the bator it reads 30%, if I put it in b/n 2 of the wells it spikes to 60%, and if I put it more towards the side it reads 50%. Soooo, what's the humidity on the bator? Where should I put the hygrometer to get the best accuracy?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Take an average of the three readings and go from there.

3. mylilchix

Thank you! That gives me an average of 46%. Is that too high or right on?

Sonja

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If its during the first 18 days then its fine.

5. mylilchix

It is. I'm setting them today then. I just got 15 standard buff cochin eggs from the Golden Feather Farm, so I really want this hatch to go well. I've started breeding cochins, so I'm trying to improve my flock. I have a blue cochin roo with the right coloring to potentially create lemon blue cochins!! [​IMG] Here's hoping.

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by