Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty Dozen, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Does anyone know why you have to crank up the humidity at hatching time? I've only hatched with broodies. Is it that they don't get off the nest during hatching & the humidity goes up? Just wondering if anyone knows. I have to take my eggs out of turner Tuesday & not sure how much water to add (right now the humidity is 48). If it goes too high, how do I get it to lower? Thanx!

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you need to keep humidity 40-50 % during 18 first days, and bump it up to 65-75% during last 3 days (19,20,21).

during first 18 days, we lowering humidity to make sure there is enough space for embryos to grow, because we need to vaporize the volume of liquid inside egg, you can see it by candling, the air sack is bigger and bigger. if humidity high in 18 first days, the embryos will be drown and dead and we don't want it happen.

and during 3 last days, we increasing humidity to high in order to make the egg shell easier to be break by the chick when he want to get out. if you don't increase humidity on last 3 days, you will find that the chick hardly to get out of shell and even dead in shell.

and now after you know why and what, then you will know appropriate action to be taken for your eggs, good luck and godspeed.

3. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Thank You! Now I know why![​IMG]

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you are always welcomed . [​IMG]

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Vera Welcome to Byc...

and ditto on the humidity...I put mine up
    on the last 3 days to 70% just by adding water with an eye dropper into the plug at the top of
    course I remove the plug first.

6. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    If I add too much water & it goes too high, how do I lower it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by