humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patnjess, May 17, 2010.

1. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    My house is more humid then my incubator. This is my first hatch using a hydrometer. I have done about 5 hatches or so without one and have about 95% hatch or better. But I noticed I can't get the humidity above 50% this is the first full day in there. Should I worry since I have always had such a high hatch rate? How can I raise the humidity if not?

2. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    I thought I would add I clean all my eggs before placing in the bator with really warm water and a tiny bit of bleach. I haven't seen anyone post about cleaning their eggs before

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    most people dont clean, and I have never heard of putting bleach on the eggs. I certainly wouldnt do that since eggs are porous.. as for humidity if you were getting 95% hatches I wouldnt change a thing.

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Never heard of using bleach on the eggs. I use really clean eggs and spot clean with a warm paper towel if I find a dirty spot. Seems to keep my bator smelling better. If you have had good hatch rates before, I don't think I would worry about the humidity, unless you are hatching at a different time of year than before.[​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    DON'T clean and definitely don't bleach your eggs!!! 50% is fine until lockdown then you want 60-70%. [​IMG]

6. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    I have always cleaned my eggs, I fill an extra large coffee cup with hot water, and 1/2tsp of bleach, let it sit 30 secs, then towel off and put in the bator. I always get great hatches. I read that in a book about hatching that you should always clean them like this, the warm water draws the bacterica out, and the little bit of bleach kills the germs.
    [​IMG] I don't know always had great hatches, and no stinky or exploding eggs, mainly just unfertilized or bad yolk.

7. mmfarm

mmfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Southeastern NC
    I don't dip my eggs, but I know people who swear by it. If you're getting good hatches, don't change a thing! [​IMG]

8. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Hmmmm, the guy I got my eggs from locally said he NEVER cleans his eggs and told me not to (first time incubator). My humidity is sitting right about 60%. Candling looks pretty good, with dark areas forming in all but one egg, but I am holding out hope. I guess I will just see how it works out. I kinda figure that having seen the bottom of a hen, how sanitized can it really be down there??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by