humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by prancyhorse, May 28, 2010.

1. prancyhorse

prancyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    mocksville n.c.
    what is the best humidity to keep chicken eggs at when first starting to incubate? thanks

2. cluckcluckcharlie

cluckcluckcharlie Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I just googled this.. .I'm new to it to.... my eggs come next week so I'm trying to set everything. Having problems getting humidity up for the last couple days of incubating:

Temperature and humidity?

This is plain and simple, yet the MOST important part of hatching.

Still-air incubator (no fan):101.5 degrees measured at the TOP of the eggs.

Fan Forced incubator: 99.5 degrees measured anywhere in the incubator.

Humidity: 60-65% for the first 18 days, 80-85% for the last 3 days.

You can sneak by with humidity numbers that aren't very accurate, but the combination of poor humidity and temperature will definately cause problems at hatch time. If your temperature is not accurate you will DEFINATELY have problems at hatch time. The bigger the deviation from the proper temperature, the bigger your problems will be!

ANOTHER PLACE SAYS:

Humidity
    The moisture level in the incubator should be about 50 to 55 percent relative humidity, with an increase to about 65 percent for the last 3 days of incubation. Moisture is provided by a pan of water under the egg tray. The water surface should be at least half as large as the surface of the egg tray. Add warm water to the pan as necessary. If more humidity is needed, increase the size of the pan or add a wet sponge. Humidity adjustment can also be made by increasing or decreasing ventilation.

SO I ACTUALLY HAVE NOOOOOOO IDEA WHAT TO DO. Sorry if this confusses you, it sure does me!

3. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I keep mine around 50-55 first 18days then raise to 60-65 on lock down.
    Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

4. cluckcluckcharlie

cluckcluckcharlie Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Thank You Biddybird. That really had me confussed! I don't know why two different places would have such totally different readings like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by