humidity

Discussion in 'Quail' started by daseymay, Dec 5, 2010.

1. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Off and on over the years I have hatched and raised coturnix quail, but never in the winter. We have a wood furnace in our sun room that blows into our living room where I have my hova-bator with eggs. The temperature in here is usually very warm, but very dry and after only three days the tray was almost out of water when I checked.[​IMG] My question is do you think that as long as I keep water in the section of the tray that it mentions during this stage of hatching that my humidity level will be ok or do I need to possibly need to move them into a little more moist area of the house like maybe the bathroom?[​IMG] Just enjoying having them in the living room where I can gaze down at them often as I pass by. [​IMG] Thanks for your help.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I keep mine in the tv cabinet that is in front of my bed. I already have a powerstrip, and it saves space. It fits right in with the the playstation and dvd player.[​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Think You Need To Use A Hygrometer So You Know What The Actual Humidity Is

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That would help.[​IMG]

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wwod Fire Heating Is Notorious For Drying Out The Air... It Will Likely Suck Your Bator Dry In Short Order... The Only Way You'll Ever Know Whats Going On Inside The Bator With Humidity Is To Have An Accurate Hygrometer. And Gamebird Eggs Are Way Humidity Sensitive.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    What kind of thermometer do you use?

7. daseymay

Nov 18, 2010
    I did have one of the thermometer/humidity from W.M. ,in storage, but noticed that a mouse or something had chewed the wires up. I guess I will have to brake down and pick a time when they are not so busy and get another one.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YEAH THOSE ARE JUST A TAD IMPORTANT WITH GAMEBIRD EGGS.

9. daseymay

Nov 18, 2010
    After confirming my thoughts about needing to know what the humidity in the bator is, I picked up a a thermometer that also registers humidity. The humidity reading seem to be holding at 57 percent which I think maybe close enough, but the new digital thermometer shows temps. about 95 to 97degrees while another cheep mercury thermometer shows 99 degrees. It has been a couple of years since the hova-bator with fan and egg turner has been used with good results and the booklet that comes with the bator says that they are preset and more accurate than the thermometers that they provide so not sure if I should try to adjust the temps, but they do show how to adjust if needed. Eggs have been in for about 5 days and not sure what to do at this stage.

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If Its A Mercury Thermometer That Came With The Incubator Chuck It, Throw It Over The Fence To Poison Their Dog Next Door Or Whatever, But I Wouldnt Use It. I Would Go By The Digital Thermo/ Hygro Unit--- Thats Just Me Tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by