humidity!??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kikidee, May 30, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    My humidity says 47% and I filled my still air incubator's middle trough with warm water a day ago. It should be higher right? How do i get the humidity to go up!? My temperature is 100.5. Sorry if you have heard this, I put a lot of questions on my other post but no one responded and I am very desperate to get some answers..

Thanks for any help,
    -Kiki

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    You could put a sponge in the bottom to increase surface area. that should help raise it.

3. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    on the bottom where the eggs are? alright, im so nervous, thank you though.

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I am preparing to incubate eggs for the first time. I have been reading all kinds of stuff and getting myself all freaked out. I just read this today... dry incubation
    I printed it off and highlighted the important stuff I want to be able to refer to quickly. I think I am gonna go with this method. It makes a lot of sense.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    No, under them where the water pan/lip is. You don't want to get water on the eggs, it can cool them, or mess with the oxygen exchange.

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I used still airs for years and if you are going with wet hatches then that is about right. In my 1588's I am now doing dry at about 35% because of the outside are brought in (Delaware is Humdid) and increased my hatches to almost 90%. Does not work for everyone and you will get a million opinions but it sure works for me.

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:I just got my hova bator 1588 and my humidity in the house is over 50%. I am practicing right now on keeping the humidity around 30ish%. I am glad to hear someone is having success with this method using same incubator as me.

8. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I am trying my first dry hatch. I have to say it is hard to get out of the habit of worrying about the humidity in the incubator. I use a hovabator still air. I have never had any problems with temperature, but I did have a little spike last night which I am hoping will not affect the hatch. We will see how it works out.

Elke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by