Humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leo1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Ok, I don't have any way to measure the humidity. I read that you want to see condensation on the windows the last 3 days. Is that right? Or do I want to keep it at just the point before condensation appears?
    Thanks!

2. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have yet to have any condensation on my view windows.
    just don;t dehydrate them and don't drown them and you'll be fine.

3. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    This is my first time, so I have no idea if I'm doing either of those things. I also have eggs that were set on different days so I don't want to drown the younger one's. I have a broody hen I can stick some under. I'm nervous because I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

4. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    Are you just setting your eggs or are you in lockdown? There are cheap hygrometers you can buy at your local feed store, pet store, or walmart for $5. That's what I use and I haven't had a problem with them. I do notice condensation in the lower corners of my Brinsea during lockdown (75-85% humidity) though. Hope all goes well!

5. wsonphan80

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    I just started hatching too and I've had 3 successful hatches out of my Brinsea Eco20 so far. I just set another batch a few days ago and will be setting more on Sunday. I've heard some incubators can be touchy and if you don't monitor humidity properly you can have hatching problems. I guess you could put the eggs under a broody hen but there is no guarantee she won't abondon them. Personally I'd get a hygrometer and provide the perfect invironment for them. Plus, it's so fun to watch them hatch! [​IMG]

6. wsonphan80

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    *environment. LOL

7. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    A few are in lock down. I saw some rocking this morning, but nothing since about one. I'm getting a bit worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by