humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by swallowscott, Jun 25, 2008.

1. swallowscott

swallowscott New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    hi, i have my own incubator set up which is made up from a poly styrene box with a heat mat and thermostat linked up to it, i used it successfully to incubate reptile eggs but now want to try it on chicken eggs.

I know the basics like turning the egg twice a day and the maintaining temperature but how would i go about getting the right humidity?? Do i just place a bowl of water in the incubator or do i need to lightly mist the eggs occasionally?

And how acurate has the himidity got to be in order for the eggs to hatch?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You don't mist chicken eggs...... a bowl or two of water might work but unless you have a hygrometer to know your humidity reading it's a guessing game for you....

You turn chicken eggs odd numbers of times a day ...3, 5 and so on....

For clean hatches temps and humidity...temps 101 to 102 for a still air which is as close to as what you have...

Humidity should run 40 to 50% for the first 18 days and then bumped up to 60 to 70% range....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  3. swallowscott

swallowscott New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    im sure i will be able to get temp and humidity accurate, is there much of a difference with success rate for chicks between a home made incubator and a proper one?

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Oh no...101-102?? I thought 100 so that's what mine's been at for days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by