Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MagsC, Sep 22, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am just curious. I have heard different things. When the humidity is upped before a hatch do you up it two or three days before or doesnt it make much of a difference as long as it is in the three day time period before they hatch?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not sure I really understand what you are asking, but you are supposed to stop turning the eggs at 18 days for chickens, and this is when you up the humidity.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes, I understand you are supposed to stop turning at day 18. What I was wondering about is do you HAVE to up the humidity on the 18th day or could you wait a little bit closer to hatch time? I was only curious because I have read of people doing both?
    I have been upping the humidity on the day I stop turning and put them into the hatcher.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well since everyone says not to open the hatcher once you put the eggs in there, I guess you would have no choice but to up it then.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    My hatcher is the same temperature as the incubator. I dont have to open it to put water in it, its got a kind of spout to pour the water into. I worry about upping it too soon and having chicks drown as they pip the shell.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not really sure, but I hatch mine at about 55-60% (can't get it to go up any higher), and they do just fine. I don't think they would drown that quickly.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    You are probably right. With this incubator its easy to get the humidity TOO high so I am trying to be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by