Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SRB-1, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SRB-1

SRB-1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Having a problem with humidity. I check it several times a day when I get up in the morning it is around 54 I added a sponge and it got to 65 wow too high. It seems to either be too high or too low. Any sugestions?

2. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    what kind of incubator are you using?

I have a tube attached to a syringe that goes into the water reservoir. I fill up the syringe with about 20 ml of water and add it that way. I keep mine between 40 and 50 pretty easily by doing this.

Remember the humidity is based on the surface area of the water not the amount you use. If it's spread out over a big area a little bit of water will do a lot.

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Remember it's the average humidity over the entire incubation periods, not the humidity at any given moment or day... And it's not an exact science, broody chickens have no practical way to lower humidity, and beyond occasionally spitting/drooling on the eggs they have minimal ways to raise humidity.. Thus if it's 95°and raining that day with 100% humidity that is the same 100% humidity under the chicken...

Instead of focusing on 'numbers' and 'percentages' it's a much better practice to weigh and candle your eggs to monitor air sack development and egg weight loss during the incubation period...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  4. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    agreed! I made a nice Excel spreadsheet for calculating weight loss over the incubation period. Any day I weigh it tells me where I'm at individually and as a whole clutch as opposed to where the eggs should be weight wise. Then I can raise or lower the humidity accordingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by