? humidityand banty days? calling all experts and experts in training

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiki244, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am wondering what the humidity in the incubator should be, and as far as the holes in the bottom go do you just open or close to control humidtiy? The article Bill Worrel wrote said if the humidity was too high the chicks would drown in shell.
    I was also wondering if banties have the same amount of days for hatching or is it less? Is it still day 18 to stop turning? or day 17? I havent gotten that far yet but I am trying to gather all the information I need so that when I start incubating I am not feeling like I am in an emergency mode.
    I havent even built my incubator yet, but I plan on starting that today. Thanks

2. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I hatched out some banties last spring. Yes they take 21 days. I left one plug out on top (i have a little giant bator) during the first 18 days. Just watch the humidity if it goes down cover the hole up. If it goes up take the plug out. You will have to monitor it closly. I do my last turn on day 18 after that i only open the bator to add water. Hope this helps.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Treat them just like standard eggs. I hatch both standard and banty together no problem.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thanks for your replies-----I have never incubated standard eggs either so what is the humidity supposed to be?

5. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    Most will tell you between 40%-50% for the first 18 days

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Between 40 to 50% the first 18 days...last 3 after you stop turning on day 18 try for 60 to 70% range...anywhere between those numbers is fine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by