humidty at 50%!!!!! too soon!!! can't lower it!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Aug 10, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    just put my eggs in on Sunday, and got the humidity down to 50%..........but can't get it lower!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    50% is fine. Why do you want it lower?

3. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i guess bc my very first batch drown...100% fail on hatching....and then my 2nd time i had it at 35-40% and had 11 out of 18 hatch just fine......so i figured it was a humidity issue [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I use normal humidity of 55-60% so that may not have been your 1st problem. I use 65-70% humidity the last 3 days of lock down.

Do you have at least 2 temp/humidity readings in your bator? I have 2 - 3 with my hatches. I have had the opposite problem this year, having a hard time keeping the humidity up to 50% and I am in southern Texas where it is HUMID.

I really think it has more to do with keeping the temps and humidity levels stable throughout the waiting period, until its time for lockdown, and get your dates right on that. Every year is a different scenario, because it depends on the weather, where you hatch, your bator, etc.

Bator hatching is a gamble, we are trying to emulate a broody hen and sometimes we don't do so well. Actually, we just don't do as well as they do. They were born to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by