Hummers are back a week now.

jimnjay

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bryant Alabama
I was so glad to see the Hummers in my yard last week in the middle of a huge storm. I rushed out to get the feeders and boiled up so syrup for them. Let the Sky Wars begin.

I love them little suckers...we have a trumpet vine that attracts a couple every year
smile.png

I'd like to get some plants in that will attract the hummers. Mr. Dad, you mention trumpet vine? I'm not familiar with that. I assume it is a vining plant.

Also, somebody told me once that the red food coloring makes their egg shells weak. So, I don't use it, just plain ole' sugar water in a red and also a beautiful shiny copper feeder. Anybody else heard anything about this?

My DH and I were sitting outside this afternoon when one hummer buzzed us. I think it was asking for sugar water. I had not put up their feeders as yet. The feeders are all up now. Love them!

Saw my first Hummer three days ago. I ran in to boil up some water and hang the feeder. Anyone ever see their mating dance? Very cool to witness. I stupidly planted my trumpet vine against my wood sided house to climb. It climbed alright. Spliting my siding along it's way. It didn't bloom for five years. Finally it had beautiful orange trumpets on it and I had to take it down to save my siding. I did save an offshoot and transplanted it to my clothes line post. Four years now and still waiting for a bloom but I know it's coming and well worth the wait. I didn't enjoy the corn snake that fell on me as I was tearing down the vine. I HATE snakes. Honeysuckle is also great for hummers. Fast growing and fast flowering. Not sure what would be good for your area Chicken-mama in Arizona. They also love my wagelia(not sure if it's spelled right) a very beautiful flowering shrub. It's my favorite.

I saw a group of little hummers buzzing around the back patio this morning!!
wee.gif

I haven't put up their feeders yet, either, but I will today!

Chicken-mama- My Sunset book has a list of flowers that attract them. I'll pull it out and let you know what they are. I know for sure that they love hibiscus.

Back
Top Bottom