Humming Birds and Twisters

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wayne hulgan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Last April we had the twisters as everyone knows. We were just on the edge of an ef5 that came through our area, we survived any major damage and are all cleaned up and ready for a new spring. Now here is the reason for my title. We have not had a humming bird yet! Every year I put our feeders out about the middle of March. With all this warm weather this year, I put them out a little early. They have been out since March 1st, and still no hummers. I know we get hummers in waves, the early ones, who move on and are replaced with later birds. Those move on then the ones that stay until fall. then the process goes into reverse. Well now I have been wondering if our early birds got blown away by the twister? We live in the North East corner of Alabama. Anyone else in the area arround Fort Payne, Alabama to Trenton, Georgia notice the humming birds? Has anyone else in any tornado area noticed a loss of humminng birds? We have our feeder out and are still waiting on some Hummers. Maybe this would make a good study project for some collage or university.
    If y'all have noticed the hummer thing, maybe you would like to post a reply.
    Its April 4 and still no hummers. If the twister didn't get them, where did they go?

2. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Its April 5 and we just saw our first hummer yesterday. anyone else arround hear seen any?

3. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I have had a feeder out since about the second week in March. Due to the warm temps I thought we might have some early arrivals. I am in Delaware. I haven't seen any yet. The earliest I have seen one here is April 18th. I am eagerly anticipating their arrival. I love this time of year. Chicks and hummingbirds.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I am just north of Trenton an have not seen any yet. We did just get the feeders up a few days ago though. Had to go buy new ones cause the old ones did not survive the storms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by