1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hummingbird, injured, rehab?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Jul 27, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had no idea where to even post this. My daughter found a hummingbird yesterday. We called the wildlife rehab place, we would need to bring is a huge distance. They gave us a number of the closest rehabber, no answer. then the vet down the street takes birds to help they told us today. we bring the hummingbird there. They take our info and said they would call. We asked if they were just going to put it down then please call us. Well, they called [​IMG] . appently he won't do anything as the bird is too small for him to help. They said we could keep it and feed it and hope the wing heals well enough for us to release. Dh asked me if this was legal but I have no idea [​IMG] guess they didn't want to take to the wildlife place far away either [​IMG] . So I am going to pick it up and feed it and maybe use a little vet wrap to immobolize the wing to it's body for a few days and cross my fingers [​IMG] the whole situation just seems bizarre to me. I just feel bad having them kill it when it is eating well and looks very healthy, except for the wing. any opinions??

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    aww...thats so sad. maybe look for some local bird breeders? They may not want to take it in for disease risk, but they might be a better source of advice.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
  4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I rehabbed one a few years ago. They're super delicate. You'll need to search online for NEKTAR-PLUS to feed it. They can't survive on sugar water. Mine did very well for 7 months, then about the time it was ready for release, I found her dead...heartbreaking. Finding a licensed rehabber is best, but best of luck to you if you give it a shot. [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ahh, poor little guy! I hope he makes it! [​IMG]

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    If you can get it to a rehabber then do that. They really need to eat often. They spend most of the day eating, and as already said stay away from sugar water. Also, if the wing does not set right it will not be able to fly. Also, it is not legal to care for it, only a licensed rehabber can. Though, if you feel you are up to the challenge, give it a shot. Really though I would get it to a rehab center.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by