Hummingbird Wars

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by justuschickens59, Jul 18, 2010.

1. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    We have 6 hummingbirds (3 pairs) that return here every year. They are always aggressive, but this year seem to really be much worse than usual. I have more than one feeder and they usually will fight over one feeder for a few minutes and then split up and go to the different feeders. Yesterday I was sitting out on the porch and they were fighting over one feeder for HOURS. I took a few pictures of them and thought I would share. In the last photo, I was able to get 5 in the picture. They will go over and sit in the butterfly bush (photo 1 & 2) or in the corkscrew willow tree and watch. As soon as another hummingbird approaches the feeder, they zoom off to fight. Their sweet appearance is deceptive !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I LOVE that last picture!!! Great shot!!
    [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I finally quit putting more than one feeder out because they just fight over the one whether I have 1 or 3 feeders out. They're fun to watch that's for sure.

4. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    They got so bad yesterday zooming all over the place, I was afraid I was going to get an eye put out wiht those sharp little beaks !!! LOL

5. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    great pics!!!

6. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    LOL! My husband refers to them as "Little Flying Hypodermic Needles". [​IMG] 5 in one pic that is just amazing! Nice shot! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nice pics and I need to go out and refill our two feeders. So dry here. They've been emptying two quart feeders a day. They were late to arrive this year and I was beginning to wonder if they were going to show up at all. They're here in full force now. Soon the hibiscus will be in full bloom and maybe the feeders will get a break.

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I read some where that hummingbirds will fill their bills with water and take it to a forest fire. Tenacious little stinkers.

Micah

9. TheMadChickenLady

TheMadChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Wow! That is some fantastic photography! Thanks for posting it here. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    We have a ton of hummingbirds here too, and we call them "dive-bombers" because they zoom by our heads at a million miles an hour and we are afraid they are going to poke us with those long beaks! They definitely have a lot of personality for their size!

PS. I LOVE your last pic- it's a wonderful shot! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by