Hummingbird Wars

justuschickens59

VA Royal Blues
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Virginia
We have 6 hummingbirds (3 pairs) that return here every year. They are always aggressive, but this year seem to really be much worse than usual. I have more than one feeder and they usually will fight over one feeder for a few minutes and then split up and go to the different feeders. Yesterday I was sitting out on the porch and they were fighting over one feeder for HOURS. I took a few pictures of them and thought I would share. In the last photo, I was able to get 5 in the picture. They will go over and sit in the butterfly bush (photo 1 & 2) or in the corkscrew willow tree and watch. As soon as another hummingbird approaches the feeder, they zoom off to fight. Their sweet appearance is deceptive !!!

Hummingbird07-17-10.jpg

Hummingbird07-17-2010.jpg

Hummingbirds07-17-10.jpg

Hummingbirds07-17-2010.jpg

Last edited:
They got so bad yesterday zooming all over the place, I was afraid I was going to get an eye put out wiht those sharp little beaks !!! LOL

Nice pics and I need to go out and refill our two feeders. So dry here. They've been emptying two quart feeders a day. They were late to arrive this year and I was beginning to wonder if they were going to show up at all. They're here in full force now. Soon the hibiscus will be in full bloom and maybe the feeders will get a break.

We have a ton of hummingbirds here too, and we call them "dive-bombers" because they zoom by our heads at a million miles an hour and we are afraid they are going to poke us with those long beaks! They definitely have a lot of personality for their size!

PS. I LOVE your last pic- it's a wonderful shot!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom