1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hummm........ egg shape tells sex of "to be chick"....thoughts???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLchook, Nov 6, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, This is the second time I've heard this, and both people swear up and down its true.....

They say the more oval eggs will produce pullets, while eggs with the pointy end will be cockerels.

Personally I don't believe it, but it would be great if I'm wrong. [​IMG]

Anyone have thoughts, or experience?? Or maybe someone out there with an incubator want to try it out?

2. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Hmmm...great question! Anybody have an answer? I'd love to know myself!

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Just a thought... if this were true do you think hatcheries would continue to hatch and destroy roosters each week?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have eggs pipping right now and I will try to keep track. I did a Delaware and RIR mix and the boys came out white and the girls look like the RIRs.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I think it's a myth. The girls I have that lay torpedos always lay torpedos. My oval egg layers always lay ovals. I haven't hatched enough to say definitively one way or another but what I have hatched has usually been 50/50 boys/girls regardless of egg shape.

I do know some breeds that are concerned about eggs actually breed for oval eggs so I'm thinking myth or they'd never hatch roos!

6. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I've heard this many many times and always assumed it to be a myth ... but maybe I am wrong?? Let us know what you find out! [​IMG]

7. reneemellor

reneemellor Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    I just read this earlier today on Mother Earth News. I'm going to try it next week when I put my next batch in the incubator. If it works, great! If not, no big deal.

8. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Just a thought... if this were true do you think hatcheries would continue to hatch and destroy roosters each week?

that is a very good question

9. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i have got some oval eggs and some more pointy eggs only one day two in the incubator i'll try to tell you what happens

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by