Hunchback of Notre Dame ?

Sono

Songster
Jul 16, 2021
DeSoto Mo
One of my Buff Ophingtons has a "Hunchback" or whatever you want to call it? I noticed it the other day while out checking on them and just socializing with them, This one is really mellow, comes to you, doesnt run off with the others...ect.... I noticed her head stays to the right and a large lump on the left side.... something I should be worried about or just ignore it and let her be? All are healthy and very active .

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4367.jpg
    IMG_4367.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4360.jpg
    IMG_4360.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1
She may have a crop disorder, even though you say the lump is on the left side. Her left side or yours? The crop is slightly to the right of the keel bone.

Feel this "lump". What does it feel like to you that is inside the lump? Close your eyes and let your fingers sense what could be in the crop or lump. Hard rocks and gravel, stems of grass or hay? Watery liquid? Or a rock solid substance like gristle?

She may have a crop disorder, even though you say the lump is on the left side. Her left side or yours? The crop is slightly to the right of the keel bone.

Feel this "lump". What does it feel like to you that is inside the lump? Close your eyes and let your fingers sense what could be in the crop or lump. Hard rocks and gravel, stems of grass or hay? Watery liquid? Or a rock solid substance like gristle?
On her left side... Ill check it tomorrow.

The hunch "looks" like a fleshy hump but really it is some sharp boney protrusions in that area. other than that everything else looks and feels normal. She is healthy, eating and drinking.

Could this possibly be wry neck (torticolis?) Have you never noticed this before a couple of days ago? Does her neck ever relax? Wry neck is a neurological symptom, and can be a symptom of a head injury, vitamin E deficiency, and is seen in a few diseases that affect the brain. Most people treat wry neck with vitamin E 400 IU softgels given daily into the beak.

If this is a boney spinal deformity called roach back, of course, there is no treatment. Here is a thread about a chicken with that, and in post 2 there are some other links to read with pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-her-back-pics.883438/

I had a chick hatch with a bad leg. (Quazzy) I kept him away from the other chickens for a week or two. Then put him in with younger chicks (behind him) They were learning to walk, just hatching, and he didn't have to compete with birds that were his age. He got better, and became their leader. I know this is a different story, but if your hen is not having troubles getting around. I would still keep her, she may get better. I would not plan on breeding her.
cvb.PNG

Below a different bird, (Dizzy)I had a bird that would not stop bobbing his head. (Meyers)He was a sweet boy so I didn't process him. I breed him. His babies were fine. I kept him because I hoped he would not crow with his condition. He ended up being a crower. I gave him to a family, they said he stopped his head bobbing.
roce.PNG

but not the crowing.

Last edited:
it seems to be a spinal deformity, I did notice it as a chick, but not as bad then, now that she is bigger its more noticeable. She acts fine and all, just has the hump with head to the side. She lets me pick her up and pet her with no issues, no sign of any pain when touched.

Back
Top Bottom