Hunger Games

To say that my daughter is obsessed with it is an understatement!!! She has read all three books in the series, and has wanted to wait to go see this movie with some friends as her bday present (her bday was in the beginning of Feb). She's a pretty advanced reader and mature for her age, but she said the book has a few violent parts. So if the movie is anything like the book, and depending on the kid, maybe not ok for 8 and younger? If your wondering what it is about, from my understanding, and what she has told me, it is set in a futuristic type world. Basically food is scarce, and in order for families to get food, the younger people, teens, have to put their names in a drawing. If their name is called, they are put into a type of "game" where it is survival of the fittest...basically the person left alive is the winner. I think it looks pretty good. We are going to see it this upcoming weekend.

The books are very good. And I agree with yomama. Anyone under 8 would not be a good idea. Maybe even older depending on how well they deal with death. Its pretty much a boy and a girl from 12 districts between the ages of 12-18 get sent into the hunger games to kill one another till there is only one left standing. It is a means of control by the capitol in the books.

Yesterday, I heard on the radio, that Fandango says there are 2000 theaters already sold out, for the first showing. I assume they mean the Friday, not the midnight showings.

No, they probably mean the midnight showings.

I've read all three books, and my 12 yo is working on the 3rd (he's finished the first 2).

The concept is that in a post-continental war world there are haves and have-nots. To punish the outlying districts for starting the war, the Capitol requires "tributes" yearly in the form of one boy (up to age 18) and one girl to participate in a fight to the death. They televise it and treat it like we do the Superbowl. It is a great story of family, honor, and perserverance. If the movie lives up to the book (and the author demanded oversight of the script) it should be an amazing movie. This WILL be violent! If your child cannot handle violence and death...think twice about taking them. I know they really struggled to keep the PG-13 rating.

Haven't read the books yet but really hoping to watch this movie
pop.gif

I am probably going to watch it Saturday with boys. My 15 years old says it should be good. He read the first 4 chapters in school of the first book. Thanks for all the input .
smile.png

So just got back. I pretty much stuck to the book. Some scenes got cut, some got added. I felt like they spent too much time outside of the arena. The actual games felt rushed, but the main scenes were there. They added a few scenes that tie into the second book, most likely so they do not have to spend more time explaining it in the next.

Peeta seems to have known the entire games that the relationship was fake. He was not angry at the end. Gale also seemed to know. He was smiling at Katniss after they got off the train. I think they might try to play up the whole love triangle between Gale, Peeta, and Katniss in the next movies.

Awesome!! I've read all the books a couple times and was really hoping that the movie stuck close to the book! I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see the movie (got free super saver passes I want to use), but I will be seeing it!

Back
Top Bottom