Hungry ALL the time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickendaddy'swife, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chickendaddy'swife

chickendaddy'swife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    I have a 8 mo. RIR hen who is constanly at the feed, like she will never get enough. She started this about a month ago, looks fine but she is always eating.Poop even looks normal. She is the only one out of 30 that does this, they have a beautiful clean,large pen and get to free range on about half acre. AND they get fresh kale, melons, corn cobs, apples etc. on occasions. I feed Layena and Flock raiser. Does this behavior signal something I should be aware of??????-disease/cancers???
    Thank you for any help or ideas.

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Mine do it all the time. They think if I move the feeder a foot over they need to eat...
    Just like yours, they have food 24-7 and get treets all the time and free range. I think it's because they are laying and laying the egg makes them stressed and tires them out. I know mine drink a lot of water when they lay, mabby the same goes with food? I don't really know. Would love to find out!

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Chickens usually eat a lot more starting in fall and going into the winter season. This is there way of getting there bodies ready for the cold. Probably trying to put on a little fat and to help their winter feathers to grow out.

4. chickendaddy'swife

chickendaddy'swife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    Thank you everyone for yur response. I will keep my eye on her and just see how it goes. Again thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by