Hungry chick not eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Time-Out, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have a 5 week old chick who is constantly cheeping. He's not cold, but hungry. If I hold food in front of him, he'll peck at it. If I put it down, he doesn't. His crop is always empty. Not sure what to do!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How long has he been doing this? Any signs of something wrong, apart from the cheeping?

3. TheCuteBirds

TheCuteBirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Surabaya
    What was the food you tried to give him?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    It's chick crumb. The chick sits cheeping, all ruffled. Doesn't seem inclined to make any efforts, won't roost, but seems otherwise fine. His three companions roost, eat and drink.

He seems quit eager to peck food up off the floor, but not from the feeder. I have given him scrambled egg, which he loves, and yoghurt. He'll eat a little, then stop and seem to fall asleep, the same when i give him food.
    If I hold the feeder up, he'll peck at the food. If I put it down, he walks away.

If my other half's son wasn't still alive, I'd say this is him reincarnated!

5. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I think he has cooci. He's never been outdoors or been in contact with anything that has been outdoors, so I don't know where he got it from :(

I've had nothing but problems this year. Poor chicks.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by