Hungry Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WestminsterHens, Jan 18, 2013.

1. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    My chickens often snatch food out of my hand. What will your chickens do to get food?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Stand on my feet and stare at me.

3. lgrant1

lgrant1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Nancy, Kentucky
    I have 30 little guys that are 10 weeks old. I can't walk into their run because they are right under my feet. I have to scoot really slowly to keep from stepping on them!

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a girl named Lucy who would literally jump up to try to snatch goodies from my hand. DH fed the bunnies grapes every once in a while and would deny Lucy any so I guess she found a way to get them herself lol

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got a story. Last year, I planted a cherry tomato plant. The chickens got everything within 2 feet of the ground. We got all the others. So my husband goes out one day to pick tomatoes and I tell him, to take a basket to put them in. He say, no he's got it and goes out and just gathers them up in his hands.

Well the hens are watching and stalking him with his fists full of tomatoes as they've eaten everything they can reach.

Then the attack ensued. Coco, my Jersey Giant, jumps up and nips at my husband's hand and the pinch causes him to drop all the tomatoes and the feeding frenzy ensues. He desperately tries to salvage what few tomatoes he can, but it's futile. The girls are all over them.

I'm in the house watching this just rolling. He comes in all dejected and all I could muster was, I told you to take a basket to put them in.

6. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    ^ that's hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by