Hungry Hungry Hens! Why?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andreanar, Oct 30, 2014.

1. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have 7, 25 week old, not yet laying pullets. They stuff their crops to bulging every morning on their feed. Then go free range and pretty much do nothing else but scratch around and eat bugs, grass, and whatever else they find. They just eat stuff all day, but act starving when we give them any treats. Is it ok that they eat this much? Shouldn't their crops get full at some point and not accept any more food?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Sounds like your chickens have the good life! :) I've had chickens for a pretty long time, and I always keep their feeders full. Mine also free range, but only for a few hours each evening before dark. I think your flock sounds very normal. Chickens are all about the food. And treats!

Even with my flock having food in their feeders 24-7, they get so excited when we throw out some scratch or cracked corn or whatever. It's like a feeding frenzy. I think a chicken's favorite thing in the world is eating.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Sounds normal to me1 Be careful to not overdo the treats, so they eat their grower and all those yummy bugs and worms. Mary

4. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Do chicken crops ever get too full, or will a chicken stop eating before that happens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by