Hunting dog needs home in MT

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by thechickenchick, Nov 24, 2008.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Well we have gotten ourselves in a pickle! We think we have to rescue every animal in need! 2 months ago, a friend of mine was told by her DH that she had to rehome her pure bred curly coat retriever. She bought him as a puppy for $800! My DH would have killed me! He is 4 now and she was heartbroken. When we left her store(they own the local hardware store) we talked about it and decided we would offer to let Mac become a member of our family. We had met him and he is a very pretty and well behaved dog with a great personality. Unfortunatley we didn't stop to think that our other large male dog Bruce might not like this idea. Poor Mac has had stitches and a tooth removed because it was broke in the fight. After $240 , and 2 nights stay at the local vet we decided to keep them totally seperated. Well that isn't working, someone is always left out of the family and both dogs are acting unhappy. Mac was not the aggressor but Bruce is not a bad dog either, just protecting his family I guess. We really need to find Mac a home. We have tried signs and craigslist. Maybe some one on here knows somebody. I have rambled on long enough but if anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me if you would rather. We are not asking for money. It just has to be a perfect home. Like I said this dog belonged to a very good friend of mine and she has gone through enough.

2. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Wow, wish I was closer. A friend has curly coats and they are awesome dogs!! Her one female is amazing. She is a total love, has taught all the grand kids how to walk by letting them hang on to her coat. My daughter had a stroke a year and half ago and since then has balance issues. Her dog places herself next to my daughter touching her gently just enough to support her but not push her. It is like she is a trained therapy dog, only it is purely instinct!!

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Do you have a picture ?

4. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Vicki, I am so gald you know the breed. Most have never heard of them. You are right they are great dogs. He is such a sweetheart.

chickenwomen, Please forgive me, I am technically challenged. When my DH gets home I will see if he can take a picture and post it here for me. Once they are on the computer it only takes me 30 minutes to get it from photo bucket to here! [​IMG] However we don't have one on the computer and everyone knows I can't handle that. Thank you for your intrest though and bear with me. If you are sincerely interested I will get you a picture ASAP. You arnt that far way from us, thats great. You should be able to google it and come up with a general idea of what he would look like. He is a black one and almost looks like a sheep. Their hair is very curly,tight short curls and his face is sleek.

5. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    How is he around the chickens ?

6. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Mine are in an enclosed run. He doesn't try to get to them or anything. If yours are free range I really am not sure what he would do. Occasionally he will chase a barn cat, but only if it runs. He has never hurt one though. The only problem I had was I had 2 tiny 4 week old kittens in the house. Well... Here comes Mac witrh something in his mouth, looking all proud! I put my hand out and he gave me a UNHURT, but unhappy kitten. CCRs are known for their soft mouths. This is what makes them good bird dogs. He takes treats so gentle, it is just amazing!

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Is Mac neutered? Is Bruce neutered? Could this be part of the problem? How is Mac around other dogs?

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
  9. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would love to see him. Where are you located ? What is his temperment / I am not fond of dogs that jump on me thats why IM asking . Sorry. I have a 3 year old female golden retriever. Is he fixed ?

10. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Good questiuon, but yes they both are. Bruce was neutered already, Mac was not. We had him 4 days before there were any issues. After the first fight we had Mac neutered, but that hasn't helped. We have a very small female dog too. Now, I love my little Ginger, but she is one of those yappy litle things that most people hate. Lets face it, she is annoying and follows the big dogs around litterally barking orders! Mac has no problem with her. Also the friend that gave him to me had another dog as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by