hunting season drawing near - protection for our ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I need some advice....I live in Stuttgart, Arkansas - which is the duck hunting capital of the world....this will be my first duck season with my ducks. We are out in the country and have two duck clubs very close to us....I have 8 ducks - 1 runner, 1 pekin, 2 muskovy, and 4 mallards (which are the duck hunters duck of choice) The mallards and skovies fly daily around our area.....I am trying to figure out the best way to keep them protected during hunting season. we have a 10 x 10 kennel that is covered, but I don't want to keep them penned that long. If I clip their wings so they can't fly off and become someone's trophey, will the feathers grow back, so that they will be able to fly again? I love watching them circle the yard almost as much as they love stretching their wings....
    has anyone else had to deal with this? what is the best option?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    clip one wing there are several posts on it, the feathers will grow back in a few months, that would be best I think. I have to clip my pea fowl every 3 months I am always surprised how fast the feathers grow in. also they molt so all will be perfect again after that [​IMG]

I would also put a bright colored tag on one or even both legs for the hunting season

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Duck hunting just started in our area and I did some research for an article I wrote for our local Examiner site. Duck hunters are only allowed to hunt certain species of ducks in certain locations. There are rules as to how close they can hunt near people's houses, etc. There should be a fish and game website for your state that lists the rules. Also, you can ask some of the duck clubs about it.

I've never heard of Muscovies being allowed to be hunted as they are considered feral and feral ducks are usually not on the lists of duck allowed to be hunted as are any domestic types of ducks, at least in California where I live. Also, they shouldn't be allowed to hunt on your property without your permission and you might want to post "no hunting" signs to make that clear.

Clipping may be a good idea if you're afraid they will travel far off of your property, especially for any mallards.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:It looks like I need to clip - there are two rice fields behind us that they flood for duck season - it butts up to the back of our property...the duck hunters wouldn't be able to tell the difference in my pets and the wild ones that come in and fly around...

Thanks!

5. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    As a waterfowl breeder but hunter too (well I haven;t hunted in years but my dad goes to Arkansas every year to hunt and I am just waiting on my boys to be old enough to take them) the only ones that you should worry about are the Mallards but that doesn't mean that if they fly through a "hunting zone" that the hunter will not shot at them. I would keep them in a pen during duck season.
    if you clip their wings then yes they won't fly off but that opens them up to predators easily and I would think you have a greater chance at losing them to a wild animal or dog then a hunter.

Everytime I put a new bird into my pen I pull out its flight feathers so it can get adjusted to the new pen but could still get away in case something got in the pen.

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Oh, in that case, it might be better to pen/restrict your ducks if they hunt right next to your property. I would hate for them to accidentally wander into that area or be mistaken for a wild duck on the ground (especially the mallards). Like Kangababy said, they might shoot first and ask questions (or pay the fine/cost) later. Perhaps you can put a temporary fence near those fields?

7. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:Even though we are out in the country, we've not had predator problems, and all my ducks free range from sun up to sun down...they have never been penned during the day, except when they were little babies....dang this is a hard decision....clip or pen...I just don't like the idea of keeping them penned up for 60 days....looks like by the time next year rolls around, I need to enclose my whole back yard so they have more freedom within their pen....instead of a 10 x 10 with concrete floor....
    Thanks for the link on clipping - that should be easy enough for me and my husband to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by