Hurray for babies

Discussion in 'Quail' started by alwaysafarmboy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. alwaysafarmboy

alwaysafarmboy New Egg

Sep 12, 2012
    All the literature says coturnix quail don't set on their own eggs. I had 4 of my quail set and I must be doing something right. 1st hatched one, second hatched 2, third hatched 4 but only 2 survived, and my fourth has 5 little ones. Considering I only had 6 hens and 3 cocks to start that is pretty good odds. The first 3 chicks are all laying eggs and it even looks like one might be getting broody herself. Anyone else have any luck so far?

2. vigibigi

vigibigi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    We've just had two sets of babies hatch 3 weeks ago naturally. Out of three hens 2 became broody within 5 days of each other. Although both were sitting on over 10 eggs, both hatched 4 each, and both had only 3 survive the first few hours. We we're very surprised considering the number of people who say it never happens, but we've figured it must be because our quails' habitat is pretty natural, no caged flooring just hay and sticks and things. how about yours??
    Very proud all the same, its lovely to wake up and spot babies popping out from under their mamas.

3. alwaysafarmboy

alwaysafarmboy New Egg

Sep 12, 2012
    My pen was actually my old dove pen with a wooden floor and a window. I am actually looking for plans to make cages with a wire for just for sanitary reasons. I think providing them someplace to lay there eggs is the key and not having them lay everywhere. What are your thoughts. If you know of any plans for cages let me know thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by