Hurricane evacuation?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smnytx, Sep 10, 2008.

1. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi, all -

I have a small flock of three 1-year-old hens in our suburban backyard. We're about 10 miles south of Houston, TX.

Right now, our county has just upgraded us from voluntary to mandatory evacuation from Hurricane Ike. Because we're 45 miles due north of the coast, and not even in a 100 year flood plain, I am relatively confident our home will weather the storm well... but when I hear "mandatory evacuation" (and I remember the images from Katrina), I want to get my kids and get out.

SO... my question - what to do with my girls? I am googling like crazy to find a shelter for them, but I'm at a loss right now.

Anywhere in Houston or north of the city could work.

I have to run out to PetSmart, because I only have one small crate to put them in, and they won't fit. I either need two more small ones, or one large one.

OY VEY.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    this may sound really dumb..but..i was thinking..with only 3 of them..maybe..bring them with you in the car?...in a pet crate...[​IMG]...so sorry to hear about this stress...best wishes..Wendy

3. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Question, how many girls to do have?

4. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    The stress of traveling would not be good on them. Leave them in your garage will a huge bucket of water and a lot of feed.

I am sure they will be ok.

5. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Hmmmm it was a flea fart for us in Key West. We were fine on the ocean and bay. However, I could never leave no matter what (old man is a firefighter bla bla) so my plan would be to house my gals in a bath tub, but I didn't have to THIS TIME. I only have two though. During the storm one of them gals even laid an egg and hung out in the wind and rain all dang day. Could you put yours in carriers if needed to be evacuated? Personally....with only three...and if it gets that bad but not bad enough for you to leave...I would put them in your bath tub with the lights out so they sleep through it. That's just me though. Good luck and such!

6. smnytx

Sep 9, 2007
    The tub is a good idea! I'll remember that one. I was thinking cardboard boxes in the kitchen...

Well, my husband and I agreed back when that we would only evacuate if it was MANDATORY... and it is, as of 8 AM tomorrow (Thursday).

Good news - I called a church friend to ask about carriers (she has dogs), and she said she'd leave her big one on the porch and we can come get it tonight. THEN, she told me that they'd just finished moving furniture into their new country house (between Austin and San Antonio), and would love to have us come up there to ride it out. SO, we've got a way to transport the girls, and a place to go (on five acres, no less!).

We'll bring all the food in our freezers and fridge, and head up tomorrow - we'll be there a full day ahead of them, actually! And we should be well out of harm's way.

Thanks!

Everyone - keep your fingers crossed that our home-built chicken coop (one year old) survives the wind and tempest! Also, say a prayer for all of the people in harm's way.

7. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Good deal! drive safe and take lots of water [​IMG]

8. smnytx

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi, I just wanted to follow up.

We evacuated in two cars - one with me and the kids, and one with my husband and the chickens in the big dog kennel. The hens were a little weirded out by the whole thing, and they did NOT like the dog run (mostly b/c there were no next boxes). I did put a box on its side in there for them, but they didn't lay in it. A couple eggs were produced in the four days we were gone, but mostly they stopped.

When we got home, on the Tuesday after the hurricane (our power was restored the day before, thank God!), we were pleased to see that the coop had withstood the storm beautifully! Our most faithful layer ran up the chicken ladder and dropped an egg first thing!

The other two have gone back into moult. They had finished, and had just started to lay again, but this event seems to have re-triggered it. The RIR is losing feathers again, and we've gotten no eggs from them at all. I expect all will be right again soon.

I appreciate the good thoughts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by